Thursday, January 14, 2010

Have an Extraordinary Day!

Ok everyone, I've done it.

I've officially added "Have an Extraordinary Day" to my email signature. "Why is this," do you ask? Well, if you haven't noticed, I try to do it anyway, at least when I'm responding to your comments or leaving a comment on your blog. It's my "thing." I hope you don't mind it terribly.

I personally love using this, it makes me so happy (except, of course, for the fact that "extraordinary" is a rather tedious word to type. But you're worth it). About a month ago I started adding it to my Out Of Office (so many people use such boring ones. I like to be inspiring), and this year it's what I write in my work birthday emails. Yes I'm the person who tracks all the birthdays and workaversaries in the office, so I like to send out emails. And every year I've sent a different "happy birthday" email. It's just one line, like "hope your day is super-fun!" But in 2010 I'm hoping everybody's day is Extraordinary.

I would add that to my work email signature too except mine is already pretty long as-is, so I don't really need any more lines just yet. (Besides, it would look weird in my birthday emails.)

But I love the idea of having my non-work account end with something. I mean, I can write "Thanks" and usually did, but that's so very work-oriented in my mind, since that's where I learned it. (I do really appreciate having something to end my emails with though, that really stumped me for a while before I got an office job. How do you end an email without sounding abrupt if you can't say "love?" Just say "thanks!")

"So why," do you ask, "should I care what this crazy girls' email signature is?" Well, because I just realized that it is (or hopefully will be) a reminder of the power that exists in words. As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he. (Proverbs 23:7 - Ha! I snuck the Bible in atcha) To restate: As I think in my heart, so will I speak or act or write. If I am angry and petulant, my emails tend to come out that way. If I am excited and happy, the same. So if I am about to write a lengthy diatribe on how someone whose life touches mine did something that I don't agree with or do not like, and I open up a fresh email and see "Have an Extraordinary Day!" do you know what that means? That means that I will have to either A) erase those words because I don't feel them or B) rethink my whole reason for emailing until I can at least end it in an extraordinary manner.

Wow. That's pretty deep, right? And for those of you who may be wondering, I don't practice diatribe-writing all that often, but I do tend to write before I think sometimes. Or what about those times that you decide to beg off a meeting or housegroup or party or whatever, and you get tempted to make up a false illness or something just so the other person will think "Oh yes, she does have a good reason for not coming". Well, I have decided not to be that way. People can see through your lies more than you know, so we may as well all state the truth. With love and tact, yes, but the truth.

So, dear readers, this is my new year's gift to myself: a new email signature. Let's see how it goes. :)

And don't forget...

Have an Extraordinary Day!

6 comments:

  1. I like it. And I like your approach to the whole sincerity thing, too. Yes, power in words. We forget that alot! Cool post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminders are good!

    Have an Extraordinary Day, yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Stoppin by from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Definitely a good idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so right. If you don't make the effort to come across the right way, some people get offended. Or so I'm told. I stopped caring to a certain extent. I figured people could just take me as I am, but you're definitely right and have given me food for thought.

    ReplyDelete

An Extraordinary Comment just for me? Hooray!

When you comment, I get an email. Then I hit "reply." If your email says "noreply-comment" I get sad. Check out this tutorial and set yourself up so I can write back to you!